URL Categorization Database is a database that is made of domains, and/or URLs, it’s a static database that is used mostly on servers, because of its size, we have two databases:
- Domain database – It contains 65 million domains, and is about 2 Gigabyte in size.
- URL Database – It contains 7 Billion URLs, and is 2 Terabyte in size.
Most clients license the domain database, and the reason to use it instead of a live API is:
- Privacy – No data goes out of the network perimeter.
- SLA – Client is in 100% control of availability.
- Cost – Over a certain number of end users, using the static database is more cost effective then the live API.
The URL Database is used mostly for the Adtech industry: RTB, Brand safety and is mostly accessed via the API, because of the technical nature of managing a database at this size, we use a proprietary software to store the data.